Hybrid Chess – Integrating over-the-board and online play
– h UTC+0200
Zoom (Link will be announced to participants)
Online chess does not have to replace traditional tournaments and clubs. This webinar is looking at organisations and projects that integrate digital and over-the-board chess. It is relevant for everyone who is managing a chess federation, club or project.
The Offerspill Chess Club which is currently in the news as the host of the first over the board grandmaster tournament after the lockdown was founded by world champion Magnus Carlsen one year ago as a hybrid club that combines over-the-board and online. Few federations have embraced online chess as widely and professionally as the Swedish Chess Federation and the Catalan Chess Federation. Jordí Magem will present the Catalan federation’s newest project: The Ciutat de Barcelona Open will be played this year remotely from tournament halls with arbiters throughout the world. Matt Piper will discuss how Chess in Schools and Communities has moved online to keep delivering chess lessons while UK schools are closed. John Foley will talk on how the next London Chess Conference on the theme of Chess and Technology will combine present and remote speakers and attendees. One presentation from our former webinar Online Ideas and Strategy for Chess Organisations is relevant in this context:
The speakers will give presentations or be interviewed by the host and answer direct questions from the audience. Afterwards there will be a general discussion and opportunity for more questions.
- Jon Kristian Haarr is Operative Director and board member of Offerspill Chess Club in Norway
- Fredrik Lindgren is General Secretary and Chief of Office of the Swedish Chess Federation (tbc)
- Jordí Magem Badals is the Executive Director of the Catalan Chess Federation and a Grandmaster
- Matt Piper is the Online Director and Coordinator for the London area of Chess in Schools and Communities
- John Foley is Director of ChessPlus Ltd
- Stefan Löffler is the Features Editor of ChessTech